Website design is crucial for any business to attract & engage with their visitors or customers. Nearly 1.8 billion websites are running on search engines today to provide valuable content to their audience.
Each website shows a different design and type creates a lot of confusion among small businesses to decide which will meet their needs. As a designer or small business owner, it becomes vital to understand each website and its uses.
Generally, the type of website which fulfills your requirement depends upon your goals and brand story.
What is a Website?
It is a collection of interlinked web pages that share a single domain name. It is a collection of texts, images, videos and may include video, audio, or other media types.
Why Creating a Website Matters?
A website can make it easier to find the products or services and information; they need before making any purchase. Having a website helps you to tell your brand story, engage with your customers, and provide in-depth value about the industry.
In short, if you don't have a website, you are losing your potential customer looking for the product or service you sell.
To help you find the perfect website option as per your requirement, here's a list of some popular types of websites on the web today:
Types of Websites
- E-commerce Website
E-commerce websites or online shopping websites help you to sell your products online. The sites typically help to sell products by making it easier for visitors to browse products, filter products by categories, highlight special sales & offers, and make purchases by online payment options.
The easy way to build an e-commerce website is through full-solution platforms like Shopify, Magento, or Squarespace. You or your team can easily update old products or list new products with ease. You can highlight images or videos of your products along with a description with more details on the product page.
Which is the best E-commerce platform for you?
- Shopify: It is best for beginners with any technical knowledge to build online stores.
- Big Commerce: It’s best for established businesses or big companies
- Wix: Easy to build any website with just a drag & drop option especially for small online stores.
- Squarespace: It takes a little grab to build your website has it’s not beginner-friendly.
- Magento: it is recommended for large organizations with developers teams to set up their e-commerce websites.
- Micro E-commerce Website
Micro-sites are a single landing page or small cluster of pages build for specific products or services. It is like a mini-website for your brand’s content. They are built for specific audiences, enhance awareness about your products, and entice visitors with a specific CTA.
Microsites are used to build a small store with specific products or build by brands to target specific audiences or launching a new product or service. Microsites allow brands to focus on what users are looking for. They are built only to attract audiences who are looking for that specified thing.
Examples of microsites: Adobe reshape the customer experience
Which is the best microsite platform for you?
- Active Demand: Build using drag and drop option with no programming language.
- Zoomph: Build the website using the drag and drop option with in-built layouts
- Boingnet: Need little technical knowledge to build a microsite.
- Instamojo: Helps to build a site with Instamojo payment suite customize it easily.
- Magazine Website or Online Magazines
A magazine website features articles, images, photos, and videos that provide information and education to visitors. The magazine industry has changed from a print platform to a digital platform now.
The magazine website is designed exactly like magazines. The magazines are also called e-magazines or electronic magazines as they are published online. Many magazine publishers now provide digital reproduction of their offline magazine with some sort of service fees. It’s important that each article have a similar layout and navigation. The site needs to be responsive as most people love to read content on mobile phones.
Which are the best platforms to build magazine websites?
- WordPress: With several magazines themes makes it easier to customize your magazine website.
- Joomag: It's a magazine publishing platform with tons of features & options for any kind of publisher.
- Adobe DPS: It is a complete solution to create, distribute, monetize, and publish content for tablets.
A blog website features consistently publishing of articles, photos, and videos. Blogs provide more personal content than magazines. Many websites publish blogs as a content marketing strategy to create awareness and engage with their audiences.
Providing valuable content to your audience increases the credibility of the company or an individual. Blogs also help to create personal branding.
Blogs can become more cumbersome for smaller companies that don't have a marketing team and strategy to create unique content before launching the site.
Which is the best platform to build a blog website?
- WordPress: With several themes makes it easier to customize your magazine website.
- Wix: Customize your blog website with just drag and drop options.
- Blogger: Free blogging service by Google. It provides an easy way to build your blog website without any coding knowledge.
- Tumblr: It is a microblogging website with social networking features.
- Portfolio Website
Portfolio sites are crucial for freelancers working in the digital age. While many freelancers hand out business cards. Other freelancers, such as photographers, can distribute physical portfolios to potential clients.
A portfolio website provides freelancers in any industry to reach more clients globally. It is a perfect site for artists, writers, designers, filmmakers, etc. to showcase their work.
In a portfolio, you just need to showcase your best work and not every project you worked on. You can add unique layouts and features to make your portfolio attractive and creative.
Which is the best platform to build your portfolio website?
- WordPress: It provides tons of themes and features to make your portfolio website amazing. (Free)
- Wix: It provides a free portfolio building site with easy options.
- Behance: It is a wonderful place to build your online portfolio. ( Free)
- Portfolio Box: It is a paid platform to build an amazing and unique design of templates. It is the top choice to showcase your work.
- Social Media Website
There are approximately 3.96 billion people on social media sites with several platforms available. No matter who your target audience is, you'll find them on one of these platforms: Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Linkedin, etc. Although it's impossible to design these platforms, you can create content to drive the audiences with social media shares.
You can build your social media accounts using the same logo, colors, and information across all platforms. Focus on the right thing to provide valuable content to your followers and expand your business.
Examples of social media pages or sites: Nutell's Facebook page, etc.
Which is the best platform to build your social media sites?
- Facebook: With nearly 2.5 billion users worldwide, it is the largest social media site in the world to connect with your targeted audience.
- Instagram: The home for influencers, brands, bloggers, small businesses, and many more with 1 billion users monthly.
- LinkedIn: The platform is mainly built for professionals looking to connect with other businesses or for B2B.
- Twitter: If your users are on this platform, they are more likely to get engaged with your content.
- Youtube: If you love to make video content, Youtube is the best side to scale up your business.
- Directory & Listing Websites:
A directory & listing website is a place where users can connect with other businesses locally or globally. The website works well when you want to list the businesses or people within an organization.
These websites list all the local or global businesses including their names, addresses, and phone numbers, along with some information about the business. For example, a local restaurant directory will include; name, menus, phone numbers, price range, etc.
Example of directory & listing website: Google My Business, etc.
Which are the best platforms to build your directory & listing websites?
- BOTW: The best of the web is trusted online directory with 40k to 60k visites per month in U.S. trusted by 16 million businesses.
- Trip Advisor: Trip advisor is a real pioneer among the travel based directory website. It is popular finding hotels & flights, best platform to register if your hotelier or travel agency.
- City Square: City Square is best directory to register for local businesses. Businesses can create there free profile in order to reach local customers.
- Educational Website
Educational websites include different topics related to games, videos, or related sources to educate or enhance the skills of students or professionals. These websites help to make the educating process easy, entertaining, and freedom to learn from anywhere.
This website supports different education sectors by providing relevant information and access to relevant data to each group served.
Types of Education sites:
- E-learning Portals
- Digital content serving sites
- School educational video websites
- Language learning sites
- Online courses sites
Which are the best platforms to build your educational websites?
- Teachable: It helps to build your online course or coaching services with unlimited student. It handles everything from web hosting to payment process.
- Spayee: It is all-in-ome platform were you can create online courses with fully functional website and app. With auto payment options for Indian payment gateways, inbuild live class and webinar platform, and many more.
- Thinkific: It is an powerful platform to build online courses with awesome features such as, personalized assignments, quizzes, and forums.
Online forums enable people to put their thoughts in front to discuss topics, ask questions, and interact with other users. More and more websites are now beginning to include forums in their website to enable their users to discuss and have a talk with each other.
The sites are often built to provide information support and allow users to put their thoughts regarding the same. Forum websites often focus on a specified niche to help professionals, students, and like-minded people come together.
Example of Forum website: Quora, etc.
Which are the best platforms to build your forum website?
- Reddit: Even if it is an old fashioned discussion forum, millions of people come here to discuss politics, post memes, post questions, and many more. It is best to register on the forum and share your thoughts.
- IGN: One of the largest gaming and entertainment community websites. It has now diversed and included movies and TV shows too.
- Off-Topic: As the name suggests, it discusses all kinds of stuff. It helps in all sorts of discussions unlike other communities which are specific to particular niche.
- Facebook Groups: Facebook group is one of the best place to build your forums, where your customers can discuss, post reviews, ask for help regarding any problem, etc.
- Marketplace Website
Marketplace websites connect sellers with buyers. It’s often known as an electronic marketplace that manages all the things from transactions, delivery to replacing the items. Marketplace helps small businesses to reach out there potential customers who want to purchase products or services similar to yours.
The marketplace helps to find all the products under one roof with different brands and different multi-vendors. The owner of the marketplace website is responsible for attracting customers and proceeding with transactions.
Which is the best platform to build a marketplace website?
- Magento: The popular platform to build amazing websites with unique features & addons. The extensions help to build a powerful multivendor.
- WooCommerce: It works side-by-side with WordPress which means it comes with tons of themes, features, and plugins to build your website.
- BigCommerce: It is an excellent platform to build a multi-vendor marketplace. The unique functionality and various options help to manage your marketplace.
- Shopify: Another popular platform to create a powerful multi-vendor website with just a drag and drop option.
- Landing Pages
Landing pages play a crucial role to convert visitors to lead or change their mind to purchase the service/product with exciting offers, they cannot reject. It is different from other web pages in criteria.
- It has a form to collect visitors' information in exchange for exciting offers.
- Its main purpose is to convert the visitor into leads. It includes an offer with a grabbing CTA.
You can also ask for customers to fill the form, enter their personal details, to grab some sort of discounts, coupons, or even subscribe to an email list.
Which are the best platform to build a Landing Page?
- Instapage: It helps to build personalized, mobile responsive, and conversion optimized post-clicking landing page. It helps to fully customize landing pages that convert visitors to lead.
- Unbounce: It helps to easily create and optimize your landing page for your small business and boost conversion rate that promotize your visitors with only one goal.
- Landingi: It is another top landing page creation tool in the market today. It's similar to Unbounce with diverse features and functions.
On the Final Note
It might be overwhelming to choose the correct website that suits your industry depending on your companies mission, vision, and future goals. In order to choose the right one, consider all the resources available to you.
For example, if you want to make money, making an eCommerce website to sell your product can help you or making an education website to educate students or professionals with new skills.
Once you figure out your goals and resources, try to do research with several templates and imaging the content with them.